Enoids

I'm not sure that "Enoids" is the technical term for residents of Enid, America, but they've come to be affectionately known as that in our household.  For the most part, the Enoid is a friendly and hospitable creature, eager to help and generally easy going; they reside in the flat, humid, and climatically volatile region of Northern Oklahoma. 

Although the Californian is not an enemy to the Enoid- I'm starting to think that its not best that they share a habitat.

There is definitely a difference 'pace of life' here, and it mainly manifests itself in the literal pace at which people choose to walk--actually, its not even a walk, its a mozy.  I don't care how or at what speed people move, just as long as they stay out of my way, but they cannot seem to do that here.  Be it walking down aisles at grocery stores, waiting for them to stop walking right down the middle of the parking lot lane, I feel like I'm always slamming on the brakes (sometimes I actually am- they also drive at least 5 miles UNDER the speed limit at all times!).  I finally laid on the horn at a guy in the Walmart parking lot yesterday- I couldn't handle it anymore.

Earlier I called the Enoid friendly, and truly they are some of the kindest people you'll meet.  I'd have never thought it possible to be rude while being kind- but after waiting in line upwards of 5 minutes while I wait for the cashier to finish a menial conversation with the person in front of me, I'm seeing that its possible. 

My earlier 2 gripes can be considered harmless, and I'm sure I'll acclimate better to them- but I don't think I'll ever get over the way some people speak to me here.  I know that they are well meaning, but being referred to as 'sweetheart' by acquaintances in professional settings is just not ok- especially when they refer to Lance as 'sir'!  I was told to 'stay cute' by a school office worker, and to 'sign my name like a big girl' at a cash register. 

7 months left?

0 comments

Leave a Reply